In addition to Cardiology I have accreditation in General Medicine – that is a licence to practice across the whole of medicine. This is unusual for a Cardiologist – of the 20 most clinically active Cardiologists in Manchester who see private patients, only one other cardiologist has General Medical Accreditation.
This is useful for-
- Recognising that the symptoms are not coming from a heart problem but from another medical condition
- Recognising that other non-cardiological conditions are present
- Advising about other medical conditions eg insomnia….
- Investigating other medical conditions eg headache, backache……
- Considering the type of health screening, vaccinations etc that you should consider
- General health maintenance advice that is more high tech and in depth than a GP would have time to discuss with you
“We wanted to come and see you because of your overall view (of medicine)” – Mr C
“I wanted to see someone who is a good General Physician as well as a good Cardiologist”– consultant colleague in his early 50s from one of the World’s top hospitals consulting Dr Horner about a cardiac problem and who had previously seen a Consultant Cardiologist who specialises in cardiac electrophysiology from a UK teaching hospital. So experienced senior doctors themselves value a wider field of view of medicine in their own treatment.
I have since 2004 had an interest in the science of living longer. I have altered my own diet and lifestyle and started the Manchester Longevity Clinic. I am also starting a website dealing with lifestyle from the standpoint of what clinical trials show actually works-goodbios from the greek word for life “bios”.